Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Emails: The 1st Draft that Should get Sent

Ever since I've become a working-gal, I've learned that professionalism must be exercised all (or most) of the time...the way you dress, the way you carry yourself, the way you speak, what you say, and who you say it to, whether it be via phone, mono-a-mono, or through e-mail. ESPECIALLY email...because emails are not in anyway visually or audibly interactive...its hard to read how the person behind it is saying it. (IE: Sarcasm could easily be taken as an offensive quip by the receiving party if they do not share your sarcastic nature.)

K, so here's the email I would send to someone that owes me a certain piece of information due that day:

[sent: 9:00AM EST]
"Hello so-and-so,

In regards to the meeting today at the Dream house with Barbie, Midge and Ken, please send me the agenda with the attached background info at your soonest convenience.

Thanks!

Regards,
My Name Here"


It's polite, straight to the point and kindly asking for a piece of info. (notice the friendly exclamation points :) )
Receiving the info in a timely manner is crucial so that I may complete my end of the job and quickly move it to the "finished" pile of my brain.

I get no response for a few hours, thus preventing me from moving to step two of the operation. Lets call it operation "Dream House Cookout with Barbie".
So I send out a second plea for information. I mean hey...they probably didn't see email #1...we're all busy people. This time it says:

[sent 11:47AM EST]
"Hi so-and-so,

In reference to the meeting happening at 3PM today with Barbie, Midge and Ken,
please send me the agenda with the attached background info 1 hour prior to the conversation.

Thank you.

Regards,
My Name Here"


Sounds a little more blunt, (notice the "Thank YOU" and not "Thanks" along with the lack of a happy exclamation point) but it's getting close to the wire, so I'm breaking out into a minor sweat (no need for deodorant yet)...but I wish I could have sent my 1st draft that looked something like this:

[not-sent, but wished to have sent at 11:44AM EST]
"Hey so-and-so,

What's the hold up? Send over pronto the agenda and background info for us to scrutinize so we don't head into the Dream House conversation looking like morons. Do not mess up our straight-A game... let's put the pedal to the medal and make this happen, yeah?

Gracias.

-My Name Here"


As perfect as email #2 was, I needed to make some necessary edits to draft number 1. Ha-ha.

So still no response and its already 2:14PM...46 minutes to go before being thrown to Barbie's Dream House chihuahua-guard dogs.
Here's what gets sent (with mine and his superior CC'd):

[sent 2:14PM EST]
So-and-so,

To elaborate on the voicemail I left you, please send the info and agenda for the Dream House Cookout ASAP as the meeting is taking place at 3PM.

Thanks,
My Name Here


ANNDD draft numero uno:


Yo *so-and-so's abbreviated name here*

Tell me you haven't suffered a food coma at your desk! I NEED the Dream House info NOW. What are you doing....has your BlackBerry alerts and my incessant emails not pinged you into action? If you don't send it...so help me i will *^%$#@ kick your @#$% so far you will be working out of the Singapore office!!!

Friggin A,

-S


Not so nice...and probably will destroy a potentially beautiful business relationship.
Thus, remember folks....always be polite. And take off those sneakers and put on a decent pair of heels/ Kenneth Cole's for goodness sakes.
It's been a pleasure doing business with ya...I mean you.

No comments:

Followers